Is your home feeling “moist” or “wet” or “clammy”? Are you seeing signs of excess moisture in your home? Some of the symptoms are as follows:
- Water on your basement floor
- Sweating or condensation on basement walls
- Condensation or sweating on your windows
- Mold or mildew or dry rot
- Peeling, cracking or blistering paint
- Smells and odors
Even when your furnace is running, there is moisture in your home. That moisture can come as water or condensation on things, or moisture in the air.
We generally measure “moisture” in the air as “relative humidity”. This is the amount of moisture in the air at a given temperature. When relative humidity in a home goes above 25% to 30% in the winter, the air begins to feel “moist”. When relative humidity goes above 40% to 50%, the air begins to feel “heavy” or “wet” and you begin to see condensation on things like walls and windows.
Moisture comes from many sources, things like:
- Bathing and showering
- Plumbing leaks
- Damp soil in crawlspaces
- Moist, wet or leaky basement walls
- Unvented dryer waste
An excess of moisture in your home, especially in the winter months when your home is closed up with little air circulation is a recipe for trouble. Things like mold, mildew and dry rot can form and spread, causing potential health issues. And you may not see them right away. Excess water vapor can cause structural issues as well as less visible things like spikes in dust mites and other insect populations. Too much moisture just isn’t good.
So what do you do? First you need to identify the problem, and then fix it.
- Often it can be traced to a leaky, deteriorating or poorly ventilated basement or crawl space
- Poorly ventilated bathroom exhaust fans
- Poorly ventilated cooking spaces
- Leaky or dripping water lines
- Carpet on basement floors which can absorb moisture and water from the air and floor
- Overactive/poorly adjusted humidifiers
We’re here to help you Western Pennsylvania. At Everdry Pittsburgh, we reflect the values of our neighbors – hard work, honesty, reliability, a complete analysis of your issues, and courteous and guaranteed service to every customer. Our free basement inspections include not only a complete physical inspection for moisture and water, but also a professional, third-party review of the air in your home.
Visit us today at www.everdrypittsburgh.com or call us at 877.961.8727 for a free consultation