Mold or Mildew

Mold and mildew are living, breathing organisms that grow and multiply anywhere there is moisture. In the basement, mold and mildew can grow in the walls, carpeting, furniture, or anywhere else it can find a food source. Mold found in your home can lead to a variety of health problems.  While mold can come in several varieties, types such as black mold are toxic and unsafe.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found enough evidence to support a link between indoor mold exposure and upper respiratory tract symptoms including coughing and wheezing in healthy people. It also found a link to asthma symptoms in people with asthma and to hypersensitivity pneumonitis in people vulnerable to immune-mediated conditions.

The IOM also found partial evidence to support the linking exposure of damp indoor environments to shortness of breath and other respiratory illness in healthy children, which could lead to the development of asthma in certain individuals. You can read more about their findings here.

Molds start to form as a result of just 15% moisture in the home. Many basements are dark and damp – the perfect locations for mold to begin to grow and expand.  Waterproofing your basement is the perfect preventative measure to keep your family safe.

To learn more about the dangers of mold and mildew in your basement:

Tips To Combat Mold In Your Home

Mold Found In Your Home Can Lead To A Variety Of Health Problems!